For the first time in its 18-year history, Lefty Kreh’s Tie Fest will be held over two days this year with a number of seminars featuring angling celebrities who will be speaking in this region for the first time.
Tie Fest is scheduled for Feb. 24-25 at the Lowes Annapolis Hotel, 126 West Street, Annapolis. Admission will be $10 for each of the two days or $15 for both days. Anglers 16 and under and active military personnel will be admitted free.
“We are very fortunate to have several fly fishing luminaries speaking at Tie Fest this year, including Jerry Kustich, Bob Clouser, Bob Popovics, and Pat Cohen, among others,” said Tony Friedrich, event director.
There will be both free and for-pay seminars. For-pay sessions include—
• Cohen, a resident of New York, is called “a magician with deer hair” and demonstrates tying up and down the East Coast. He is a member of the pro staff for 10 fishing companies, including EP Flies and Partridge of Redditch Hooks.
• Gary Dubiel, owner of Spec Fever Guide Service, part of the Temple Fork design team, and innovator of the pop-n-swap method for catching giant redfish, will discuss fishing North Carolina for shark, redfish, speckled trout, and many other species. He will cover everything from gear, flies, seasons, and techniques.
• Clouser, one of the most respected fly fishers in the country, will be teaching the Inverted Loop. Bob has innovated this new casting style to help folks learn how to properly cast sinking lines and weighted flies.
Free workshops include—
• Kustich, co-founder of Sweetgrass Rods, premier maker of bamboo fly rods, who will discuss the advantages of bamboo rods and what goes into making them. He formerly worked for Winston Rods and lectures on fly rods throughout the country. Kustich also will discuss his new book, “Holy Water,” as well as a run down of the waters most special to him.
• Kevin Josenhans and Chris Karwacki, Crisfield-based fishing guides, who will share their secrets on fishing Tangier Sound for striped bass, speckled trout, bluefish, and flounder.
• Jake Vilwock, owner and head guide of Relentless Fly Fishing, who will speak on trout and smallmouth bass fishing in Pennsylvania.
The seminar schedule and further information can be found on the Lefty Kreh’s Tie Fest Facebook page, link.
“With the expansion and additional speakers Lefty Kreh’s Tie Fest is establishing itself as the premiere fly fishing event in the Mid-Atlantic,” said Friedrich. “We are bringing more legends of the sport and practical information to local anglers. At the same time Tie Fest will maintain its unique feature where any attendee can walk up to luminaries and have a conversation.”
The event will continue to focus of fly tying demonstrations with such types as Steve Silverio, Brad Buzzi, Popovics, Richard Strolis, Jason Taylor, and many more.
Tie Fest also will include displays from numerous fly shops in the Chesapeake Bay area, local fishing guides, and angling organizations. Attendees will be able to purchase supplies and discuss fishing strategies with these vendors.
For further information contact Friedrich, email@example.com.