Fall and winter around Juneau, most anglers take a few months off and prepare for the upcoming spring and summer season. Other angling opportunities still exist during the winter months.
Winter king salmon trolling (saltwater)
Anglers can target king salmon while trolling the salt waters near Juneau. King salmon are present in local marine waters throughout the year. The following regulations apply for the 2018/2019 winter season:
- The bag and possession limit (resident and nonresident) is one king salmon 28 inches or greater in length.
- The nonresident annual limit is one king salmon 28 inches or greater in length from July 15- December 31. Imediately upon landing a king salmon, a nonresident must enter the species, date and location, in ink, on the back of their sport fishing license or harvest record card.
- From October 1, 2018 through March 31, 2019; resident sport anglers may use two rods while fishing for king salmon; a resident using two rods may only retain king salmon.
- In Section 15-A, the waters of Lynn Canal north of the latitude of Sherman Rock, the retention of king salmon is prohibited, king salmon may not be retained or possessed; any king salmon caught must be released immediately and returned to the water unharmed from April 1 through December 31.
- With relatively mild temperatures this winter up until the last week, anglers have been putting in the rod hours and are having success catching winter kings. Good spots to try for winter king salmon around Juneau include Auke Bay, ‘the Cut” at Spuhn Island, and backside of Douglas Island. Try fishing a bit shallower this time of year then you would in late summer, and concentrate you’re fishing around the tide changes. Try running a whole herring or hoochie behind a large hotspot type flasher. Hot king salmon colors include white, red, and chartreuse, and any flashers with UV reflectivity for the reduced light during the winter hours. Make sure to check the weather before heading out and let someone know where you are planning to go, as the weather can change quickly this time of year.